- In 1996, the iframe tag was introduced by Internet Explorer to load or to fetch content asynchronously
- In 1998, Microsoft Outlook Web App team implemented the first component XMLHTTP by client script.
- In 1999, Microsoft used its iframe technology to dynamically update the news stories and stock quotes on the default page for Internet Explorer, and created the XMLHTTPActiveX control in Internet Explorer 5. Microsoft has adopted the native XMLHttpRequest model as of Internet Explorer 7.
- Google made a wide deployment of standards-compliant, cross browser Ajax with Gmail (2004) and Google Maps (2005).
- The term "Ajax" was publicly stated on 18 February 2005 by Jesse James Garrett in an article titled "Ajax: A New Approach to Web Applications", based on techniques used on Google pages.
- On 5 April 2006, the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) released the first draft specification for the XMLHttpRequest object in an attempt to create an official Web standard.
Glue for the whole AJAX operation.
API for accessing and manipulating structured documents.
Represents the structure of XML and HTML documents.